Categories and Judging:
There are three possible categories under which photographers may enter their photographs. Please be sure to indicate which category you are entering each of your photographs into under the “Category” column on the Entry Form. The categories are as follows:
- Feature Category (this will change each year). For 2018, the theme of the Feature Category will be “The Big Run” in honor of the large amount of sockeye salmon that are expected to return to the Fraser River in 2018. Contestants can be creative in their interpretation of this theme, though it is preferable that you provide some explanation on your Entry Form as to why you think your photograph(s) fits this theme.
- General Category: This category is for images that relate to the general theme of West Coast fishing. For example, photographs showing:
- commercial fishing in action,
- aspects of the waterfront (docks, harbours, anchorages, and shorelines)
- people engaging in fishing activities
- fish (in oceans or rivers, fish habitats, catch, etc.)
- behind the scenes of fishing processing (in BC plants, canneries, etc.)
- images of the Cannery (exterior, interior, or special events)
- Youth Category: This category is also for images that relate to the general theme of West Coast fishing (see description above) but is limited to photographers who are eighteen (18) years of age or less.
- “People’s Choice” Category: All images entered in the above three categories will also be entered in the People’s Choice category.
Winners for each of the first three categories will be chosen by a panel of judges selected by the Society based on their knowledge and expertise in photography and/or history. The decisions of the judges will be final. Judges will consider the following criteria: relation to the designated theme for each category, composition, and creativity.
The “People’s Choice” category will be awarded based on popular vote. Voting will take place exclusively online through this contest website from January-Feb 3, 2019.
Winners and Exhibit:
Winners of each category as selected by the judges, as well as the winners of the “People’s Choice” vote will be publicly announced on the contest website as well as at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site during the Cannery Farmers’ Market on Sunday, February 3, 2019.
The top three photographs selected from each category (Feature, General, Youth, and “People’s Choice”) will be featured in a special display at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site from February 3, 2019 until April 2019. After the close of the exhibit, the large print copies of the winning photographs created for the display will be presented to the photographers.
All other photographs submitted to the contest will be available for viewing on the contest website as of January 1, 2019.
The Society reserves the right to not display any image that is inappropriate in content.